Local Media Association's most popular contest of the year includes thousands of entries from members across North America. This contest recognizes editorial excellence in six different circulation classes that separates dailies from non-dailies. The Suburban Journalist of the Year award is decided in conjunction with this contest.
2013 Winners Announced
The annual Local Media Association Editorial Contest once again elicited fierce competition. Your entries were simply phenomenal, and judges certainly had a tough job on their hands.
When the dust finally settled, the following winners took top honors. We congratulate all our winners and offer a special thank you to everyone who submitted entries.
Editor of the Year - All Classes Combined
- 1st Place: Mark Brackenbury, New Haven Register, Digital First Media
Journalist of the Year - All Classes Combined
- 1st Place: Jon Wells, The Hamilton Spectator, Metroland Media Group Ltd.
Top Company Winners
Metroland Media Group led all companies with an astounding 92 awards! Digital First/ 21st Century Media followed with 35 awards, Observer Media Group with 20 awards, Black Press Community Media/Sound Publishing with 17 awards and Lee Enterprises with 15 awards.
Top Newspapers Winners
- The Hamilton Spectator (Metroland Media Group Ltd.)- 14 awards
- Sioux City Journal (Lee Enterprises, Inc.)- 13 awards
- Antelope Valley Press (Antelope Valley Newspapers, Inc.)- 12 awards
- Lawrence Journal-World (The World Company)- 12 awards
- StarNews Media (Halifax Media Group)- 11 awards
- The Oakland Press (Digital First Media/21st Century Media) - 11 awards
Awards will be mailed to the winning newspaper's publisher. With that in mind, it is very important that you review your winning entry (from the "Company Order" document linked below). Please email any corrections for your winning listing(s) to email@example.com by Wednesday, April 16, 2014.
Congratulations to all our winners for their outstanding successes and well-deserved honors. Local Media Association would like to offer special thanks to the Walter Cronkite School of Journalism and Mass Communication, Phoenix, AZ, for judging the LMA 2013 Editorial Contest and to Newspaper Toolbox for hosting the online contest entry platform.
Again, congratulations to all our winners for their outstanding successes and well-deserved honors.
To view the complete list of winners (sorted by company or by category) click on a report below.
2013 Winners by Category (PDF) | Company (PDF)