Local news matters more than ever, but the core business models that support this work have been profoundly disrupted. This has led to an astounding rate of decline of quality journalism across North America.
A thriving local news ecosystem is critical to community accountability, civic engagement and healthy democracies. With no existing replacement model to support local journalism, the need is urgent for new businesses that effect profound, not incremental, change.
LMA built Accelerate Local exclusively to address this problem. It is a transformative, purpose-built entity committed to ensuring the future of local news by discovering, researching, testing and delivering new business models that can profitably scale. As a nimble, skilled innovation machine, it can focus on the most promising models with the agility and rigor required.
Accelerate Local aspires to change the trajectory of the local media industry. We invite all interested media companies, foundations, technology providers, philanthropists and more to get involved with our efforts.
Here’s what LMA board members and team have to say about Accelerate Local:
Learn about Accelerate Local
- Accelerate Local introduction: Reinventing business models for news
- How does it work? From ideation to rollouts, the process is well defined.
- Projects in the pipeline: Work has just begun, but gives promising indications for the potential of Accelerate Local.
- Interested in funding Accelerate Local? Consider a donation — here’s how.
- Have an idea to submit? Get it in front of the Accelerate Local team.
- Meet the team: The people who will guide this important initiative.