3/19/2020 Update: Submissions will be reviewed and awarded on a rolling basis – with winners being notified within a short window after applying – until funds are fully apportioned. Applications will be accepted until $1 million in grant payments has been awarded. At current application rates, we expect to hit capacity and close the application process by NOON ET on March 20.
As a valued member of our community, I wanted to let you know about a grant program we’re announcing today to help fund local newsrooms’ coronavirus coverage.
Today, we’ve partnered with the Facebook Journalism Project and Lenfest Institute for Journalism to offer a total of $1 million in grants to support US and Canadian local news organizations covering the coronavirus. These grants will help fill immediate gaps for resource-constrained newsrooms covering the impact of the coronavirus in their communities.
About the grant:
- Tapping into the Facebook Journalism Project Community Network grant pool, grants of up to $5,000 will be given to local newsrooms across the US and Canada to help cover unexpected costs associated with coronavirus reporting
- Grants may be requested by for-profit or nonprofit local news organizations in the US and Canada, or freelance individuals with established working relationships with a nonprofit or for-profit news organization in the US and Canada. A complete list of criteria is available here.
- Applications can be submitted here.
- Submissions will be reviewed and awarded on a rolling basis – with winners being notified within a short window after applying – until funds are fully apportioned
- If potential applicants have any questions about the program, you can email the Facebook Journalism Project at CommunityNetwork@nullfb.com with “Coronavirus Reporting Grant Question” in the subject line
We know these are trying times and accurate and timely news reporting is critical to our communities. If you meet the criteria, we encourage you to apply and/or help us get the word out to other qualified organizations and/or individuals who may be looking for funding opportunities such as these.
Local Media Association
Facebook Journalism Project Community Network Grant Program: Applications will be accepted until $1 million in grant payments has been awarded. Subject to Terms and Conditions. See terms for full eligibility criteria, selection criteria and grant restrictions.
LMA survey: Remote work, new products, workforce cuts among media changes most likely to be ‘new normal’
For publishers new to grants, it’s about having a good story to tell: 7 tips for local news grant writing