- This event has passed.
Jump to program details: 4/22 sessions | 4/23 sessions | Hotel | Registration
The Digital Revenue Summit brings compelling thought leaders from all corners of media to Chicago for two days where we exchange strategies and ideas to grow local digital business profitably.
Monday, April 22, 2019
3:30 p.m. – 5:30 p.m.: Opening Workshop
The Digital Revenue Summit will start with two compelling workshops. Both will feature faculty members that are having success with either digital subscriptions or OTT/Connected TV. These will be highly interactive and perfect for teams to attend together.
Consumer Revenue Models
We’ll dive deep into digital subscriptions during this opening two-hour workshop. Two top performers – Gannett, on the large company side, and The Southeast Missourian, from a small company perspective – will share what is working for them and what’s on their roadmap for the rest of the year. We’ll also learn about the most promising results from the Facebook Digital Subscriptions Accelerator. Finally, the Google News Consumer Insights team will showcase some new tools that publishers can use to drive digital subscription growth. This workshop will be very interactive with plenty of time for Q&A with all of the faculty members.
- Speakers: Josh Mabry (@iJoshMabry), Local News Partnerships Lead, Facebook; Jon Rust (@jkrust), Co-President, Rust Communications; Anntao Diaz (@AnntaoDiaz), Head of Google Surveys for Publishers and News Consumer Insight, Google; Matt Villacarte, Strategic Partner Development Manager, Google; Idalmy Carrera-Colucci (@IdalmyCarrera), Senior Director of Editorial Operations, Tribune Publishing and Jason Jedlinski (@JasonJedlinski), SVP Consumer Products, Gannett | USA TODAY NETWORK.
- Moderators: Nancy Lane (@localmediarocks), President, Local Media Association; Jed Williams (@williamsjed), Chief Strategy Officer, Local Media Association.
OTT and Connected TV Trends
It’s one of the hottest opportunities in local media and our faculty members are having real success in this space. We’ll hear about a number of different approaches in this very interactive workshop. It’s perfect for TV executives and other media managers that are looking to make OTT and/or connected TV a top priority.
- Speakers: Brian Page, Senior Director, Digital Revenue Products, E.W. Scripps; Mike Braun, SVP Digital Media, Gray Television; Shaun Fogarty (@shaunfogarty), General Manager – Digital, Virginia Media; Brian Hunt, head of OTT/CTV Advertising Sales, Sinclair Broadcast Group.
- Stephanie Slagle (@stephanieslagle), Director of Digital Strategy, WBNS; Jay Small (@jaysmall), Chief Innovation Officer, Local Media Association.
5:30 p.m. – 7:00 p.m.: Red Carpet Award Presentations and Opening Reception
The winners of the LMA Digital Innovation Awards will be recognized on the red carpet during this fun opening reception.
Tuesday, April 23, 2019
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m.: Choose from two tracks
- Revenue Strategies and Emerging Trends will feature case studies designed for senior digital leaders and c-suite executives. It is perfect for those charged with setting digital strategy for the company.
- The Digital Sales Managers Bootcamp is specifically designed to address the most pressing needs such as: recruiting top sales talent, retention, motivating sales executives, prospecting, KPIs, analytics and most importantly, driving street level growth. It’s perfect for anyone charged with growing digital sales and managing the team out in the field.
Revenue Strategies and Emerging Trends for Senior Digital Leaders
8:30 a.m. – 9:45 a.m.: Three Companies That Are Leading the Charge with Digital Revenue Growth
Ever wonder why some companies are posting double digit gains in digital revenue while others are barely flat? We identified three of the best in the industry to join us for this opening workshop. They’ll open up their playbooks, discuss their secrets to success and participate in Q&A.
- Speakers: Catherine Badalamente (@cbadalamente), VP Digital, Graham Media Group; Joe Weir (@InternetSnob), VP, Cox Media Group; Matt Chamberlin (@mchams), Executive Director, Client Strategies and Business Initiatives, Hubbard Radio/2060 Digital.
- Moderator: Jay Small (@jaysmall), Chief Innovation Officer, Local Media Association.
9:45 a.m. – 10:00 a.m.: Break with R&D Partners
10:00 a.m. – 10:45 a.m.: Upcurve Update – Solving the Full Suite of SMB Needs
Launched by GateHouse Media a few years ago, Upcurve provides businesses with a full suite of products and services that support stronger growth and productivity. With a team of Google certified deployment engineers, trainers, and consultants, they make sure the transition to the cloud is smooth and seamless. To date, they have helped over 5,000 businesses make the transition to G Suite by Google Cloud. Learn more about this emerging opportunity in this fascinating session.
- Speaker: Jon Sofield, Managing Director, Upcurve.
10:45 a.m. – 11:30 a.m.: Digital Innovation – Best of the Best Contest Winners
This year’s Local Media Digital Innovation contest focused on 12 exciting categories including best local website, best new digital initiative, best consumer revenue strategy, best digital agency and more. Our judges picked the three best entries in the entire contest to be featured in this best-of-the-best session. Prepare to be wowed.
- Speakers: Karyn Kraske, Director of Events & Sponsorships, Daily Herald, Ben Berkowitz (@BerkowitzBT), VP Digital, NBC NY and Rolando Pujol (@rolandopujol), Director of Digital and Social Strategy, WPIX-TV
- Moderator: Matt Coen (@mcoen), President and Co-Founder, Second Street.
11:30 a.m. – 11:45 a.m.: LMA Digital Innovator of the Year – Rebecca Capparelli (@rebeccacappa), Vice President for Promotions, GateHouse Media
A true driver of revenue growth, the judges had this to say about Rebecca: “From $0 to $20M in 3 years! Driven direct revenue growth as well as valuable customer databases. Built and grown a central team supporting local markets to grow revenue and better serve their local advertisers, with unmatched training, case studies and support. An inspiring leader!”
Rebecca will share some of her secret sauce during this inspiring presentation.
11:45 a.m. – 12:00 p.m.: LMA Digital News Innovator of the Year – Steve Baron (@stevebaron), VP-Digital and Head of Product, Tribune Media
Under Steve’s leadership, Tribune Media had one heck of a year in 2018. The judges had this to say: “Steve and his team’s results speak for themselves. Tops in comScore for local multi-platform news, robust local news sites and apps, and forward-looking adoption of voice and OTT channels, as well as for-platform vertical video for mobile.”
We’ll hear about the projects that he’s most excited about in this must-see presentation.
12:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m.: Lunch with R&D Partners or On Your Own
Some of our R&D partners will be hosting lunch roundtables at a hotel restaurant to share some of their work/updates. Click here for the list of participating partners.
1:00 p.m. – 1:45 p.m.: Against the Grain – Big Ideas from Bold Thinkers
Now is the time to think differently and our panelists have no shortage of ideas. This is the perfect after lunch session to challenge our long held beliefs and take us out of our comfort zone.
- Speakers: Chris Hendricks (@cah1162), President, Local Media Consortium; Eric Bright (@sobrightly), VP of E-Commerce, Deseret Digital; and Susan Jacobs, Senior Vice President, Revenue Strategy, Tribune Publishing.
- Moderator: Fran Wills (@WillsFran), CEO, Local Media Consortium.
1:45 p.m. – 2:30 p.m.: Fresh Opportunities in Content Verticals – Building Local Brands
Content verticals are hot right now. In this session, we’ll look at some of the most promising models in this emerging space.
- Speakers: Josh Kaufman, Former Executive Producer, Chicago’s Best, WGN-TV; Spencer McKee, Director of Audience Development, Colorado Springs Gazette and OutThere Colorado and others to be announced.
2:30 p.m. – 2:45 p.m.: Break with R&D Partners
2:45 p.m. – 3:30 p.m.: Branded Content – How LMA and LMC are Using the $1 Million Investment from Facebook
In January, LMA and LMC announced the creation of a branded content program, funded by a $1 Million investment from the Facebook Journalism Project. In this session, Julia Campbell, the project manager for this program, will share some best practices in this space. She will also be joined by three of the seven alpha partners to talk about the project, testing and early results.
- Speakers: John Conway (@jcconway), General Manager, WRAL/CBC NEW MEDIA, Evie Kevish (@eviekevish), Project Manager, Shaw Media and Catherine Badalamente (@cbadalamente), VP Digital, Graham Media Group.
- Moderator: Julia Campbell (@campbelljulia), Branded Content Project Manager
3:30 p.m. – 4:00 p.m.: The Fraud is Coming from Inside the Ads: Revealing Results from an Industrywide Study
Thousands of LMA member sites have partnered with AdHack.org, DEVCON, and OpsCo to examine the problem of demand-side ad fraud. The study revealed robust vulnerabilities in ad tech that put our audiences at risk, create lucrative opportunities for criminals, and undermine the faith in our organizations. The panel will share data from the study and discuss ways to meet this industry-wide challenge.
- Speakers: Michael F. D. Anaya (@MFDAnaya), Head of Global Cyber Investigations and Government Relations, DEVCON; Joseph Naylor (@joe_naylor), Senior Director, Product Management, Data Management & Ad Platforms, Cox Media Group; James Byrd, Chief Operating Officer, OpsCo.
4:00 p.m. – 4:15 p.m.: Wrap Up
Takeaways from the day.
Digital Sales Manager Bootcamp
8:30 a.m. – 8:45 a.m.: Welcome and Overview
8:45 a.m. – 9:30 a.m.:
Onboarding Training Best Practices
What is the formula for onboarding new reps, and how this is a critical component to both long-term performance and new hire recruiting?
- Speaker: Jenny Farrell (@jennyjfarrell), VP of Sales Training, Gatehouse Media
9:30 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. Recruitment Best Practices – Attracting Passive Candidates
To compete successfully in talent acquisition you need a solid strategy. In this session, we will discuss how to build and work a talent pipeline and gain valuable tips on working “passive prospects” vs. active job seekers. Laurie Kahn will share secrets with the group about how to attract qualified candidates who are not actively searching for a job.
- Speaker: Laurie Kahn (@mediastaffing), Founder and CEO, Media Staffing Network
10:00 a.m. – 10:15 a.m. – Q&A with Jenny Farrell and Laurie Kahn
10:15 a.m. – 10:30 a.m. – Break
10:30 a.m. – 11:15 a.m.: Panel: Prospecting in the Digital Age – Work Smarter, Not Harder
Prospecting is critical to the sales process. Technology has made this much easier yet many are not using these tools to their potential. In this session, we’ll learn how to work smarter not harder.
- Speakers: Addy Earles (@AddyEarles), Director of Training, Adcellerant; Paul Benton, CEO of The Light Digital.
- Moderator: Shannon Kinney (@shannonkin), Founder & Client Success Officer, Dream Local Digital.
11:15 a.m. – Noon: KPIs and Key Measurements
Hear from three leaders as they outline their strategies for keeping teams on track.
- Speakers: Charles Chunn (@CharlesChunn), GSM WJXT, Graham Media; Erica Calvert (@ecalvert20), Digital Sales Manager, Entercom Digital; Maggie Drake (@Mymarketingmind ), Director of Digital Sales, Cordillera Digital KOAA.
Noon – 1:00 p.m.: Lunch with R&D Partners or On Your Own
Some of our R&D partners will be hosting lunch roundtables at a hotel restaurant to share some of their work/updates. Check back for the list of participating partners.
1:00 p.m. – 3:00 p.m.: Workshop and Group Exercise
Create go to market strategies for the top verticals in your market. Break into small groups to create sales tools for specific verticals like, Retail, Legal, Education, Automotive and other top local business categories.
- Moderators: Jesse McCambridge (@newmediasales), Senior Director, Digital Revenue and Sales Strategy at Cox Media Group; Shannon Kinney (@shannonkin), Founder and Client Success Office, Dream Local Digital.
3:00 p.m. – 3:15 p.m.: Break
3:15 p.m. – 3:45 p.m.: Analytics Your Team Needs to Know
Too often, eyes glaze over when the topic of analytics comes up. There is too much data and not enough actionable information. Get a handle on what your team needs to know about site analytics to help measure and drive client business goals.
- Speaker: Jack Zavoral, Director of Member Development, Local Media Association.
3:45 p.m. – 4:45 p.m.: Driving Street Level Growth
A closing panel of four street-level managers who will answer your questions and share their experience building digital revenue. Learn their key takeaways from the day’s sessions, and how you can apply to your own business.
- Speakers: Erin Overstreet (@erinboverstreet), Director of Digital Sales, Gray Television; Kyle Awerkamp (@ktawerk), Director of Digital Sales, Quincy Media; Erin Mayer (@ErinAMayer), Senior Digital Specialist, Forum Communications.