Six important industry projects are underway at LMA that act on Accelerate Local’s mission:
- The Branded Content Project: A $1 million program funded by the Facebook Journalism Project and in partnership with the Local Media Consortium. Alpha partners include: ABC Owned Television Stations, Dallas Morning News, Graham Media Group, McClatchy, Shaw Media, The Texas Tribune and WRAL.
- GNI Digital Subscriptions Lab: Funded by the Google News Initiative and in partnership with FTI Consulting. Partners: El Nuevo Día (GFR Media), The Baltimore Sun (Tribune Publishing), The Buffalo News (Berkshire Hathaway), The Columbus Dispatch (GateHouse Media), The Houston Chronicle (Hearst), The Idaho Press (Adams Publishing Group), The Portland (Maine) Press Herald, The Post and Courier (Charleston, S.C.), The Southeast Missourian (Rust Communications), and The Toronto Star (Torstar). For more on the Subscriptions Lab, read Nancy Lane’s blog post.
- GNI Data Lab: Funded by the Google News Initiative and in partnership with Deloitte. Partners: The Seattle Times, WFSB-TV (Meredith Corp.), The Philadelphia Inquirer, NBC/Telemundo Owned and Operated, St. Louis Post-Dispatch (Lee Enterprises), and Tampa Bay Times. For more on the GNI Data Lab, read the announcement.
- Digital Transformation Lab for Publishers of Color: Funded through donations to Accelerate Local. Pilot partners: The Atlanta Voice, The Dallas Weekly, New York Amsterdam News, Houston Defender and The Washington Informer.
- NewsFuel: With $300,000 in funding from the GNI Innovation Challenge, NewsFuel is a platform that connects funding entities with news organizations seeking grants for journalism projects, and aims to fund 1,000 journalism jobs in three years.
- The TV Membership Project: Funded through donations to Accelerate Local. Partners: FOX Television Stations, Meredith Corp. and WRAL/Capitol Broadcasting Co.
Learn about Accelerate Local
- Accelerate Local introduction: Reinventing business models for news
- How does it work? From ideation to rollouts, the process is well defined.
- Projects in the pipeline: Work has just begun, but gives promising indications for the potential of Accelerate Local.
- Interested in funding Accelerate Local? Consider a donation — here’s how.
- Have an idea to submit? Get it in front of the Accelerate Local team.
- Meet the team: The people who will guide this important initiative.